Here are some tips for this week’s assignment:
First, be sure your name and the date is on the top of the paper, if you choose not to use a title page.
Please save the work as a Word document in the following manner: Last name first initial_ Week 4_PSY 510
Be sure to answer each part of each question separately and completely.
With regard to question # 1, According to Behnke (2005),
“An ethical dilemma arises when two or more of the values found in the Ethical Principles conflict. Resolving an ethical dilemma requires identifying the relevant values and weighing those competing values against one another to determine which receives priority” (para .4). In addition to the nature of the dilemma, be sure to identify the Principles that you believe are in conflict in this dilemma. (Remember the distinction between the Principles (A-E) and the Standards that we reviewed in earlier discussions).
For Question# 2, about stakeholders, THINK BIG, and remember to include the main character(s) PLUS any other persons or entities that may have a stake in the outcome.
For the remainder of the questions, cite specific ethical Standards to support your conclusions.
For Question # 4, review Fisher, and APA Standard 7, with regard to ethics involved with educational roles.
Note that in Question # 7, two Hot Topics “Ethical Supervision of Trainees” (Chapter 10) and “Multicultural Ethical Competence” (Chapter 5) should be discussed, and additional standards are required to be addressed. Consider aspects of Standards 2 & 3.
For Q # 8, review the ethical theories in the textbook (Ch. 3, pp. 36-42).
For Q # 9, review the six steps of ethical decision making in the textbook (p. 46, 47).
Since there is no rubric for this week’s assignment, here is a scoring guide:
There are 9 questions.
Q’s # 1, 3-6, 8, and 9 are worth up to 6 points each.
Q 2 is worth up to 8 points.
Q # 7 is worth up to 10 points.
The total will be equal to a percentage, where 60 points =100 %.
Behnke S., Ph.D. (2005). On being an ethical psychologist. Monitor on Psychology 36(7) 114. Retrieved from: http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug05/ethics.aspx
Cite and reference academic sources according to APA 6th edition guidelines.
PSY-510 Contemporary and Ethical Issues in Psychology
Handling Disparate Information
Directions: In a minimum of 50 words, for each question, thoroughly answer each of the questions below regarding Case 7: Handling Disparate Information for Evaluating Trainees. Use one to two scholarly resources to support your answers. Use in-text citations when appropriate, according to APA formatting.
1. Why is this an ethical dilemma? Which APA Ethical Principles help frame the nature of the dilemma?
2. Who are the stakeholders and how will they be affected by how Dr. Vaji resolves this dilemma?
3. What additional information might Dr. Vaji collect to provide him with a more accurate picture of Leo’s multicultural attitudes and professional skills? What are the reasons for and against contacting Leo’s supervisor for more information? Should he request that Leo’s sessions with clients be electronically recorded or observed?
4. Is Dr. Vaji in a potentially unethical multiple relationship as both Leo’s externship supervisor and his teacher in the Health Disparate class? Why or why not?
5. To what extent, if any, should Dr. Vaji consider Leo’s own ethnicity in his deliberations? Would the dilemma be addressed differently if Leo self-identified as non-Hispanic white, Hispanic, or non-Hispanic black?
6. Once the dilemma is resolved, should Dr. Vaji have a follow-up meeting with the students who complained?
7. How are APA Ethical Standards 1.08, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09, 7.04, 7.05, and 7.06 and the Hot Topics “Ethical Supervision of Trainees” (Chapter 10) and “Multicultural Ethical Competence” (Chapter 5) relevant to this case? Which other standards might apply?
8. What are Dr. Vaji’s ethical alternatives for resolving this dilemma? Which alternatives best reflects the Ethics Code aspirational principles and enforceable standards, legal standards, and obligations to stakeholders? Can you identify the ethical theory (discussed in Chapter 3) guiding your decision?
9. What steps should Dr. Vaji take to implement his decision and monitor its effect?
Read Case 7: Handling Disparate Information for Evaluating Trainees on pages 440-441 in your textbook. Once you have read the case study completely, answer the discussion questions found in the attached document “Case 7” under the assignment tab.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide,
Case 7. Handling Disparate Information for Evaluating Trainees
Rashid Vaji, PhD, a member of the school psychology faculty at a midsize university, serves as a faculty supervisor for students assigned to externships in schools. The department has formalized a supervision and evaluation system for the extern program. Students have weekly individual meetings with the faculty supervisor and biweekly meetings with the on-site supervisor. The on-site supervisor writes a mid-year (December) and end of academic year (May) evaluation of each student.
The site evaluations are sent to Dr. Vaji, and he provides feedback based on the site and his own supervisory evaluation to each student. The final grade (fail, low pass, pass, high pass) is the responsibility of Dr. Vaji.Dr. Vaji also teaches the spring semester graduate class Health Disparities in Mental Health. One of the course requirements is for students to write weekly thought papers, in which they take the perspective of therapy clients from different ethnic groups in reaction to specific session topics. Leo Watson, a second-year graduate student, is one of Dr. Vaji’s externship supervisees. He is also enrolled in the Health Disparities course. Leo’s thought papers often present ethnic-minority adolescents as prone to violence and unable to grasp the insights offered by school psychologists. In a classroom role-playing exercise, Leo plays an ethnic-minority student client as slumping in his chair, not understanding the psychologist, and giving angry retorts. In written comments on these thought papers and class feed-back, Dr. Vaji encourages Leo to incorporate more of the readings on racial/ethnic discrimination and multicultural competence into his papers and to provide more complex perspectives on clients. One day duri
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”
the Ethical Principles was first posted on April 7, 2020 at 2:30 pm.
©2019 "Nursing Researcher". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org