Week 5 – Final Paper
Ashford University Assignment Submision Week 5 Final Paper
Classroom Scenario Analysis
To make curriculum accessible to English language learners (ELLs), teachers must be able to integrate strategies to help them develop social and academic language skills in English, and provide support by using comprehensible input and scaffolding. Accommodations should be based on current theories and research in language and literacy development, and they should address the interrelationship between culture and language.
For this assignment, you will read the “Classroom Scenario” from Pathways to teaching series: Practical strategies for teaching English language learner, in which Mr. O’Malley is a teacher of a mainstream 6th grade classroom with two ELLs in it, Maria and Mikhail. In a five- to eight-page paper, complete the following:
PART 1: Analysis
Analyze the scenario by addressing the following:
- Conduct a needs analysis of the two ELLs, Maria and Mikhail. What do you know about their backgrounds? What are their current levels of English language development (i.e., Which of the five stages of language development is each one at?)? What evidence do you have for assigning them to these levels?
- Identify the strategies the Mr. O’Malley is currently using in the scenario to help Maria and Mikhail to develop their social and academic language skills in English. Do you think that these strategies are effective? Why or why not?
- Discuss any current theories and research in ELL development that relate to the strategies that Mr. O’Malley is currently using with Maria and Mikhail.
Provide specific examples to support your points. Make sure to discuss the teacher’s or students’ actions in the scenario, and align them to specific concepts learned during the course. Whenever appropriate, use course vocabulary to demonstrate your knowledge of how it is applied and activated in the field.
PART 2: Action Plan
Discuss the next steps the teacher should take to best facilitate effective language development for Maria and Mikhail in his classroom. Be sure to properly cite sources of information that support your suggestions. Your action plan must include the following components:
- Identify and describe at least one, but no more than two, standards that address 6th grade English language development or content. You may use either Common Core Standards or state ELD standards.
- Describe two standards-based interventions/activities for each of the two ELL students based on the needs analysis that you completed in Part 1. (You may use the same standards for both students, but the interventions/activities that you describe should be different for each student since they are not at the same level of English development.) Explain why you are suggesting each of the interventions/activities (i.e., Why you think they will be effective to help Maria and Mikhail move to the next level of language development?)
- For each of the four interventions/activities, explain how you applied fundamental theories of ELL English language development and instruction to inform your thinking.
- Finally, what advice would you give Mr. O’Malley about working with ELLs? What are his current strengths as a teacher? What kinds of skills and knowledge could he still learn about so he understands better how to teach ELLs? What kinds of professional development might he benefit from to become more effective as a teacher of ELLs?
Writing the Final Paper The Final Paper:
- Must be five to eight double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the text and required Curtin article.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”
learners final paper was first posted on October 28, 2019 at 5:38 pm.
©2019 "Nursing Researcher". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org