After completing this module, you will be able to do the following:
· Discuss the importance of Peplau’s interpersonal process to nursing care
· Analysis Henderson’s and the ANA’s definition of nursing
· Apply Orem’s Theory of self-care deficits to a case study
· Assess the application of each theoretical model to clinical research and practice
· Discuss the relevance of the basic principles proposed by these theorists to the current practice of nursing.
· Compare and contrast the theoretical perspectives of each theory and identify commonalities and differences among the theories.
· Describe the impact that each theorist had on the development of nursing knowledge.
This module introduces the work of three important 20th-century nursing theorists: Virginia Henderson, Hildegard Peplau, and Dorothea Orem. Peplau discusses the importance of the nurse-patient relationship in the different phases of nursing care. Henderson help shape the definition of nursing, and we will explore how the definition has changed over time. Lastly, we will explore Orem’s theory of self-care deficits and apply our knowledge to a case study. This module summarizes each of these early scholars and their conceptualization of nursing and the nurse-patient relationship. Their work situated the focus of nursing from performance of tasks to engagement in a therapeutic relationship designed to facilitate health and healing.
1. Smith, M. C., & Parker, M. E. (2015). Nursing theories and nursing practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis. ISBN 978-0-8036-3312-4 Chapters 5, 6, & 8.
2. American Nurse Association. (2018).
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
ANSWER 3 QUESTIONS
1) What is an opportunity in your nursing practice that would benefit from Henderson’s theory?
2) How could Henderson’s theory be useful in your practice?
3) How does this align with ANA’s definition of Nursing? (How does the possible application align with the definition from ANA found at htt://ww.nursingworld.org/Especially For you/What-is-Nursing).
Provide one evidenced-based research article to support this recommendation(cite and reference the article)
This week you will create a two-part Power Point to discuss the following:
Peplau was the first nursing theorist to identify the nurse–patient relationship as being central to all nursing care. Peplau valued knowledge, believing that the nurse must possess extensive knowledge about the potential problems that emerge during a nurse–patient interaction. Peplau’s theoretical work on the nurse–patient relationship continues to be essential to nursing practice.
· Describe the phases of the Nurse-Patient relationship as defined by Peplau. Align your presentation regarding the use of Peplau’s theory with a current practice example.
Provide a discussion of Orem’s Self-Care Deficit Theory. Identify and explain the three related parts? Identify a current nursing practice example where Orem’s theory would be relevant. Use at least one evidenced-based research article to support your practice example. The PowerPoint should include at least 3 outside references and the textbook. It should include title and reference slides and be 14-20 slides.
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
The post Discuss the importance of Peplau’s interpersonal process to nursing care appeared first on Health Term Papers.